Thursday, 1 August 2013

Now and Then: Post-Uni but back to the books!

Just before Christmas 2011/French exchange, I posted a list of my likes and so on for future comparison (and did some similar lists while on exchange). Earlier on this week, I prepared my updated answers. But now I've decided it was all too much and so BOOM simplified version will follow. That is, after a tangent, because that's how I roll.

Now that I have finished university, I am actively trying to get back into the habit of recreational reading, because studying law pretty much killed that for me. From memory, I have deduced that I read an all-time low of three books a year during my studies (which, pathetically, is much better than my original estimate of half a dozen across the entire 5.5 years) - of which three were short story anthologies, and seven were Pratchett (I love him, I just mean it's a light read).

On the other hand, this does exclude an embarrassing amount of fanfiction (which quantitatively, even if not qualitatively, adds up), Fruits Basket (again; though I don't think I finished the manga the first time round), and set university readings even if I enjoyed them - i.e. for French literature classes (Voltaire's Candide is hilarious) and sometimes political science aka my sneaky way of studying philosophy (though really the only work I read properly was Foucault's Will to Knowledge, which totally paid off since it also helped me do well in my Legal History course the following year, ahaha).
Also, my Dark-Age recreational-reading list included Simone de Beauvoir's All Men Are Mortal, which was brilliant, full of history things and rather long, so that should count for extra wanky points.

Anyway, the point is I'm going to start slowly with two books a month and work my way up from there. I originally said one short, one long - but that didn't quite work out this time so at least not two of the same sort of book, I guess.

Returning to my original purpose: I love lists.
 
- Current repeat song/album: 'Anything Could Happen', Ellie Goulding (I blame New Girrrrrrl)
- Last read: Love by Angela Carter, and Unseen Academicals by Terry Pratchett
- Next up: Dodger by Terry Pratchett, and Notes from the Underground by Fyodor Dostoyevsky (gonna work my way up to meet my rambling kinsman Pyotr in The Devils/Demons)
- Last movie seen in cinema: Wadjda (Haifaa al-Mansour; so, so great)
- Last movie seen on DVD/computer: Miller's Crossing (Coen Brothers)
- Next up: Mood Indigo (Michel Gondry; huzzah NZ International Film Festival!)
- Latest cooking trick: Homemade fettuccine and ravioli!
- Favourite drinks: Whiskey (usually straight, sometimes neat and occasionally on the rocks); old-fashioned and margarita (though I usually end up trying new cocktails); leffe blonde; merlot and shiraz.

And hello August!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers