So I thought it was about time I posted something even though I've been avoiding it cos I'm supposed to be working for serious right now. But then I came across this and thought I might as well.
Just a few quick notes about the things I'm working on right now: firstly, a character design for a food brand for digital illustration. I've chosen Nutella, hence the strange reference to it on Facebook. This looks to be a fun brief although I really don't know where to start in terms of a suitable character to represent Nutella; I'm thinking something like a squirrel, for the hazelnuts? I dunno.
The other thing is an illustration for a children's book: this one's a live brief which means there's a chance my art will actually be published in an actual book and I will actually get paid, although this is unlike as there are thirty-odd other illustration majors all vying for the same outcome. The main character for this story is a hedgehog, which has proved to be much harder to draw than I expected, but the real problem for me is choosing a style to go with for the final illustrations. After getting momentarily sidetracked by the Disney movie Tangled, which has some of the loveliest end-credits I have seen for a long time (and may be one of the Disney movies I actually like, despite still having nasal, girly singing and sudden but amazingly choreographed street dance scenes) I decided to check out some of the art for the old 1950s Disney classics, like Sleeping Beauty. It was during this search that I came across Eyvind Earle, who did a lot of the art for that particular film.
And he's amazing. SO AMAZING. Like, I thought he was good from just having seen the movie but now he's even better. He does these screen prints:
Just a few quick notes about the things I'm working on right now: firstly, a character design for a food brand for digital illustration. I've chosen Nutella, hence the strange reference to it on Facebook. This looks to be a fun brief although I really don't know where to start in terms of a suitable character to represent Nutella; I'm thinking something like a squirrel, for the hazelnuts? I dunno.
The other thing is an illustration for a children's book: this one's a live brief which means there's a chance my art will actually be published in an actual book and I will actually get paid, although this is unlike as there are thirty-odd other illustration majors all vying for the same outcome. The main character for this story is a hedgehog, which has proved to be much harder to draw than I expected, but the real problem for me is choosing a style to go with for the final illustrations. After getting momentarily sidetracked by the Disney movie Tangled, which has some of the loveliest end-credits I have seen for a long time (and may be one of the Disney movies I actually like, despite still having nasal, girly singing and sudden but amazingly choreographed street dance scenes) I decided to check out some of the art for the old 1950s Disney classics, like Sleeping Beauty. It was during this search that I came across Eyvind Earle, who did a lot of the art for that particular film.
And he's amazing. SO AMAZING. Like, I thought he was good from just having seen the movie but now he's even better. He does these screen prints:
That's a screen print.
So is that. GOD they're beautiful. He also uses watercolours (which are beautiful), oil paintings, scratchboards, sculptures and various other media, which are all, as I'm sure you've guessed, beautiful.
Definite influence of Japanese woodcuts in a lot of his work...
Anyway, now there are at least three different styles I want to use, all at once, and I'm getting nowhere with my drawings at all. I got a pretty bad mark for my last illustration assignment so I really need to step up here... Still, at least my eyes are happy.



WOAHPURDY.
ReplyDeleteYeah, as per tiffy's strict instruction 'Tangled' is on my list. Actually went to the library so I could watch it over the weekend or something but both copies are already out :p
P.S. Yeah, god forbid we hear some REAL voices in a Disney movie...
ReplyDelete