Sunday, 11 September 2011

La Rochelle Part Five: Travelling Plans!

SO I was recently informed by my friend who went to La Rochelle last January, that exams pretty much finish late May, and like late June is the period for resitting failed exams! Which I really really hope will not be necessary for me.

Trimester Two at Vic doesn't start till 16 July. Even with approximately 1-week re-settling in period to get over jetlag and readjust to Wellington and see people, this still gives me PROPER TIME TO TRAVEL (which in turn means I seriously need to get my arse into gear and save more), like most of June in Europe plus the beginning of July. I also have about two weeks in April for Easter break.
When are people going to come visit me by the way~

Anyway places to go!
- Other cities in France, naturally: Paris, Lyon, Bordeaux, and see what else the locals suggest.
- Geneva, Switzerland: to visit a family friend and eat some cheese and chocolate.
- Italy: Venice and some other places, to see the pretty things and sit in a gondola and hunt down a more attractive younger version of Roberto Benigni (but with the same amount of adorable enthusiasm and wanky knowledge of literature).
- Oxford, England: to visit a friend studying at uni and briefly pretend I attend an Ivy League school!
- IRELAND: I JUST FOUND OUT THAT MY AUNT'S CLOSEST AND NICEST SISTER LIVES AN HOUR FROM DUBLIN, and my uncle and aunt might even be there too depending on timing, which may or may not be a good thing? Free accommodation/food but fairly strict conditions, OR paying for my own shit but potentially IRISH BOYS, HMMM. The problem is, if I'm in the area anyway my aunt and uncle may not give me a choice...
- Tokyo, Japan: to visit Kay and Disneyland with tiffy (I hope!), on my way back home :D

Given my time I can probably do a week in each, WOOOOO :D
'cause I can go see other French places in the weekends (e.g. grab a Friday afternoon train then return to La Rochelle Sunday night), and then visit the bigger ones when I go to Geneva; and/or also see Germany. I won't need so much time in Paris too, since mother and I shall be spending New Years there before La Rochelle uni starts (we will most likely no longer be doing the big trip that originally included Christmas in New York, which will be good for both our wallets and our relationship, I suspect).

I'd kinda also like to see Spain but am starting to worry about my budget, so maybe will just leave it there. One day I want to smoosh tomatoes with my feet :D And also hop across to Morocco and run up and down the corridor things and climb up buildings and sit on a carpet and generally pretend to be Aladdin (because I'm not going to do all that in wherever-he's-from-in-the-Middle-East, particularly as a female).
More than that though I really want to go to Greece and see the Parthenon... Maybe I could go like, Italy then Greece? Argh I should really check average accommodation and flight costs for all this...

Also, after advice I might just man up and stick to one big suitcase, a big carry-on, and laptop bag (though maybe I should hide this in a handbag so I don't get mugged or something?). I'll have to buy bedding and cooking utensils there anyway, so I could also buy anything else I need. Plus, it'd probably be easier when I'm travelling around, to just have that.

Worst case scenario I can try to buy excess luggage on the way back. Or ship. Eurgh.

YAY EUROPE AND JAPAN! :D

4 comments:

  1. Potentially like a mini backpackers pack for your carry on? you want it to be a back pack trust me. in most of the countries you are gonna need to take your laptop out at every security gate so hide it, but not in a place you have to unpack your whole bag at.
    Back packs are handy as there are pockets and you can probably get a way with a smaller hand bag separate. just watch out for size and weight restrictions for different airlines...
    you probably know all this though bahaha.

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah backpacks are handy... the only problem being they can totally make you look like a tourist/foreigner so you're easy to pick out.

    I very much want to visit and especially go to Italy but I'm not sure when that would happen. My semester is from 27 Feb to 1 June, apparently, which sounds similar to yours.

    Also... 'my aunt's sister'? So... your aunt then?

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL Germany can be as low on your list as you want it to be. I'm only keen on the beer (nom) and boys (nommier!).

    ZOMG YAY JAPAN.

    If you DO manage to visit spain, bring me back a zut-in-a-suit, okay?

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Kay: I already replied to you... so... HI! YAY POCKETS.

    @Han: Early/mid-June is an option in that case? Keep me posted if this becomes like +80% likely.
    Also she's my aunt-in-law's sister who I did not remember meeting when I was 3. However I'm rather close to my aunt-in-law and feel like the 'in-law' implies more distance than is actually the case.

    @tiffy: SPAPANESE. Will try to bring one back in one piece. No guarantees.
    P.S. Michael Fassbender OMG. I really want to see 'Shame' and 'Fish Tank' now~

    ReplyDelete

Followers