Friday, 23 September 2011

Presents and Birthdays!

Okay, I know did the last post BUT it's been almost a week so whatever.

Oh actually, I don't know how open we are being or not being with personal technical details on this thing; I guess it's not a necessary detail for this little ramble, BUT I like my oversharing tidbits of information. Because I'm generous. Or something. Okay whatever I've deleted that now.


Anyway - attempt to make this less of a monlogue: let's talk about getting people presents! Not for occasions that seem more over-advertised-and-now-rather-superficial to some, but like important days like birthdays to show that you care about people, to remind them that hey, yeah I've grown rather fond of you, so let's keep hanging out. (Or in other cases, to remind yourself why you liked them and so you should probably make more of an effort to keep in touch.)

HOW: Do you go through a process? Or wait for an epiphany? Or just straight out ask them, or their family/other friends? Or do you stick to defaults: socks, money, chocolate gift basket?
(P.S. Dad's family always groaned over the token Christmas socks, but I think that's just 'cause they were lame plain socks. I'd be more than happy to receive like, cute socks with kittens on them. I could walk around going "ROAR LOOK I AM STEPPING ON ALL THE KITTENS-ohwaitohnoI'msorry!")

WHY: Do you like choosing presents, or just wrapping something in pretty ribbons? Or is it a troublesome flibbertyjibbet that you dreeeead when you turn the next page of your calender?

Personally I like getting people presents. LOTS. I'm like my aunt in that way - minus the money to fund the habit. Either way though it's FUN. Well, it's fun when I have ideas (even if it's 6 months too early), and these ideas are usually based on in-jokes or miscellaneous memories with that person. Probably in some less important cases it might even just be associations I have with them and therefore they won't appreciate it so much, as it'd just be me selfishly wanting to laugh or something BUT look I put a bow on it! And I'm giving it to you for FREEEEE.

Anyway so this year is a year of special birthdays for my little circle of [school]friends (with a couple next year)! In particular, this is the birthday weekend of a best friend I've had since I was like, seven (and therefore attended and will attend both the small friend thingy and the small family thing haha).

I also tend to do themes. Particularly with my school friends because they are a very delineated group separate from uni friends who sometimes overlap in regards to how I met them and things they are doing and how well they know my other friends. Also our birthdays are fairly close.

This year's theme was originally was going to be fairly individualised. 'cause, important.

BUT THEN.

I planned one thing on the side, for a fairly logical reason. Logic doesn't usually factor into my birthday present planning; but I guess the inspiration was fairly random so at least I'm somewhat consistent for once. Plus, it's awesome.

The second one, I was only thinking of doing because once I thought of this one little part of it, I couldn't get the idea out of my head. But I didn't know how I'd do it! UNTIL I realised that it was pretty much exactly in the style of the first thing SO I could just do it too :D

SO I THINK NOW I can't help but do this THING I am doing and keep doing it.

In short, I'm making an arse of myself (not that that's necessarily a new thing) for (hopefully) their entertainment, but also still saying a thing, by doing a particular somethingsomethingshhhh~

HEHEHE.


[Spoiler Alert from 2013:
I was going to delete this, since it's ridiculous - but then I decided to keep it, just in case I somehow forget how ridiculous I am and need reminding.
Anyway, what all this nonsense really means is that:
(1) for a certain childhood best friend, I rewrote Grease's "You're the One that I Want" - mainly because the opening line could be perfectly replaced with "Seven threes, they're multiplying, 'cause you're turning twenty-one~" (it was a big hit, FYI).
(2) for Kay, I rewrote "Hakuna Matata", to "Tanjyoubi Omedetou" - which was pushing it, but fuck it, The Lion King is awesome. Also I've just checked my files and I inexplicably still have the 11 failed takes of this recording. WHY.]

1 comment:

Followers