Wednesday, 28 September 2011

Success: Korokke!


SO I made some Korokke! I'd eaten about 3 before I thought to take a picture of them ;p


Tried to take a picture to show width but not sure that worked (since I also had to hide myself and my house clothes ;p)

ANYWAY just in case I forget, here is the recipe I used, based on memory of Kay's japanese recipe and common sense:

Ingredients:
N: I just guessed the ratio but quite liked it so will more or less stick with it.
Makes about 18.

The mix:
- 3 big potatoes
- 1.5 small onions
- 450g mince beef
- Salt, pepper, and other seasoning things

The batter:
- Station One: Standard white flour - heap a whole lot across a plate (or a chopping board seems to work equally well)
[As per Kay's traditional Japanese trick, add a couple pinches of ground pepper and mix it into the flour]
- Station Two: 2 Eggs - crack into a bowl and beat well.
- Station Three: Breadcrumbs - heaped/spread across a plate/board.

Cooking:
(1) Peel, chop and boil the potatoes (till soft).
(2) Meanwhile, dice the onions and fry briefly in a pan.
(3) Add the mince beef to the onions. Season and cook till brown~
[I know there was some sort of spice that Kay mentioned the first time round, which I did not have at the time, but cannot remember it. So I just used salt, ground pepper and soy sauce. I also added a bit of teriyaki sauce that I had lying around, and a tiny bit of white vinegar - I'm not sure if this made much of a difference but it all tasted good in the end so I don't know.]

(4) Get the (now soft) potatoes and mash them into a BIG POT. Season with salt and pepper.
(5) Add the onion and beef mix into the big pot, and mix well. Season to taste (as this is more or less what the final result will taste like). Leave it to cool down a bit~

(6) Take about a palm full of mix and shape it into a thick (but not too thick) circle as above. Or to personal preference, really.

(7) To the batter-ing stations!
(a) Lightly flour the korokke;
(b) Lightly coat it in egg (make sure it covers the whole thing);
(c) Then cover it in breadcrumbs.
(d) Put aside (on another plate/board, or to the side of Station Three) to do a few more~

(8) Put a big pan on the stove, on high, and add a LOT of oil.
(9) Fry till golden~ (Make sure you get the edges of the korokke; it helps to use tongs as well as a spatula to just rotate the korokke along the hot oil before you flip it to the other side)

(10) Serve hot! With rice. And some sauce (Kay knows), but I just used soy and that's fine.

Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay~

3 comments:

  1. わ〜おいしそう☆
    Dammit I want Japanese food now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. yay!!!! you made it through~~

    ok so the spice was nutmeg, salt and pepper is fine for seasoning the mince but nutmeg is the one most people use I think.

    Also a trick I learnt the other day is that, since we hate deep frying things, you can fry the bread crumbs first lightly, on a pan with no oil, before covering the korokke :) that way you only need to fry them for a tiny bit of time and not worry about if they are done or not. also you could bake them not fry them this way apparently~

    :D yaaaaaay nommy potato fried things~

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nutmeg! That was it.

    Also I actually managed okay with the deep frying ;p HOWEVER that totally sounds like a good idea; thanks! :D

    ReplyDelete

Followers