Friday, 6 April 2012

La Rochelle #48: History and THREE MONTHS

It's technically the 6th so am updating now as I will be busy tomorrow/later today.

First a ramble:
On Wednesday I gave my first oral presentation for my history tutorial; as an exchange student it was 50% of my grade, and I do another later (the locals get a 30% final exam, and do multiple presentations to earn an average oral and written grade).

BOOM! Succeeeeess, despite my horrible procrastination (I was actually still adding last bits on my laptop as the tutorial was starting and the tutor was handing out marks from the previous week).
- French language: I stumbled occasionally towards the end, because I’d only had time to read the first half aloud a few times
- French methodology: Quoting a classmate: “It had a good structure; like… she did what we do!!” N’awwwww.
- Content: Seemed to be generally on the mark, given the exemplar presentation outlined by the tutor at the end of the class as per usual. It's not exactly fair though since I’m not a first year like the rest of the class.
- General delivery: Our old Speech&Drama teacher would’ve scolded me for lack of eye-contact, but I’m going to play the foreign-language card; the moving-about leg was unforgivable though.
While slow enough to be understandable, I did speak a tad too fast – though to be honest, part of this was to childishly prove that I COULD; the tutor didn’t seem to believe my warning, as my French tends to get a bit stumbly when asking him questions, but that is probably more subconsciously linked to the fact that I sometimes have deliciously inappropriate daydreams about him and have not yet given up on him offering me private sessions (there’s a thing on his wedding finger, I’m not COMPLETELY sure it’s a wedding ring). Also the inappropriateness hasn’t been helped by him smiling and winking at me after my presentation.

Anyway, due to (1) weekend of uselessness and inactivity, (2) presentation prep fuelled mainly by fruit, cereal and smooshy bread, and (3) some potential misreading of labels, I came home to 400g of chicken about to expire.

Solution: chop, marinate in soy sauce and honey, and serve with couscous and steamed broccoli.
And then refridgerate about a third of it. Not a bad effort nevertheless.
To the update more generally –

Food:
- Weekly trips to the Old Market for veggies – not potatoes or onions anymore, because I got funny ones from the market a couple times, and the Carrefour/Foursquare near my place is fine for that. Also sometimes I get sausages there, but since the first DELICIOUS ONES I found there, I can’t find them again and keep going to the wrong stand.
- Exchange girls have introduced me to the FRESH WARM BAGUETTES they sometimes have at Carrefour (I can’t figure out it if it’s a set time or what).
- Haven’t bothered with fishfingers again. They were pretty average.
- Am really loving the courgette and couscous, together or otherwise.

- Here is the aforementioned smooshy bread that saves me when I am exhausted and/or travelling:
"Moelleux" is also a type of chocolate cake,
which Buddy#1 described to me as not fully cooked in the middle.
I had one the first time we hung out and it was delicious.

Social Life:
- Reliable friends: 3
- Alright-ish friends: 2
- Technically acquaintances who I’d like to be better friends with: 5
- Previous two categories combined, in France beyond La Rochelle: 6
[Really the last two categories are overdue additions, so this is no longer an accurate comparison thing; not that it necessarily was in the first place…]

- Places where I am familiar with staff: Fitzpatrick’s (Irish quiz-night pub). 
Projects: 
- Language-exchange: dropped.
- Exercise: gym classes – usually once a week, occasionally twice.
- Music: Fallen out the window as of late but still okay in some aspects:
(1) Melodica remains; it’s getting more crowded outside though so I tend to stay home.
(2) Piano in the gym – subject to availability of the damned room, generally okay.
(3) Collaboration – I think scared the guy off…
(4) This doesn’t REALLY count, but I’ve spoken with two (unrelated) guys somewhat generally about a jam, but neither has really followed through – one is ArizonaGuy’s flatmate, the other is the guitarist of a band who put up an ad on the student intranet for a keyboardist (and as usual they want someone more permanent).

Other:
Current repeat album: It’s been a mix of stuff mainly, but I will admit that I managed to play ‘Ai Se Eu Te Pego’ on repeat for almost an entire evening…
Current nails: Clear; but will paint them pink on tomorrow.
Current TV: Bref (ongoing; French thingy on Canal+). Actually I’ve been good lately!
Recently finished: Hana-Kimi, l’Auberge Espagnole (technically a movie but YOU SHOULD WATCH IT, oh Romain Duris~)

To end, here is a bad picture of the beach:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers