Okay, my apologies for being in the Philippines visiting family and therefore unable to post - mainly because I'd already passed the stage where I'd get much privacy to type away, bahaha.
Anyway. They're posting about arty things and projects, but I'm still in groggy post-flight mode and also recuperating from humidity-induced unwellness, so for now I'm just going to ramble about my sleepy Important Thoughts from Sydney Airport when I was waiting for the flight home.
So, airports! Specifically, international terminals, because it would be mean to demand much of little places that can't afford to have international traffic; if there is no Krispy Kremes in the entire country then you have other problems. As a self-declared civis mundi, but more importantly as a general brat, here are some things that I think ALL international terminals should have:
- All-Day Yum Cha
EVERY AIRPORT SHOULD HAVE THIS. Thank you, Sydney Airport! And also thank you for not bloody listing your opening hours and leaving my stomach to grumble at the doors at 6am; there wasn't anyone around I could ask either and I didn't want to risk not eating before boarding time.
- Sushi Trains! And other interactive speciality food places
Introduce people to other cultures, and fun food into my belly. Bonus points to the first airport to get a teppanyaki with proper chefs.
- MAPS
(Wait! they don't love you like I love you~) They aren't hard to make! Photocopy the most basic blueprints of the airport and just stick some glitter and pasta shells on it. Seriously, I can't buy your stuff if I don't know where you are, or even if you're around. The only way I even noticed there was a Krispy Kremes in Sydney Airport was 'cause I saw a kid walking around with some...
- Important Shop Information (surprisingly not always presumed to be part of the basics)
A visible notice of your open hours would be nice - as well as prices on your menus or pricetags on your products, so that I don't have to try not to look like a half-awake scruffy student when I ask the lady at Victoria's Secret how much the purple one costs, then nod thoughtfully as if I could still buy it if I wanted to, it's just that I've just remembered that I have two more like it back at home in my walk-in closet so I'm just going to casually wander out of the store now.
- Comfy couches, bonus points for big armchairs.
Damnit, that's all I can remember. Juice bars, I want those too. And bonus points for taste-testing shots of the alcohol in the duty free area (available when travelling with my mother in the evening, but not at six in the morning, unfortunately).
On the other hand, Things I Don't Want in my international terminals: 30-something year old white men saying things like "Hah! Business of course. Who the hell would go to Singapore for pleasure?"
And even though a good friend of mine isn't having the best time in Singapore at the moment, and even though I loathe the humidity, I would reply to that with: 55-storey hotel topped with a swimming pool on the top floor (see: Marina Bay Sands Singapore; we paid just to bloody see it). Other stuff too of course, but that in itself is impressive.
(FYI: The man in question said it to an older man who was sitting opposite me but sharing a table; the first man knew neither of us but chose to ignore me. He also chose to repeat the 'joke' to the waitress shortly thereafter. Oh yes I'm sure you're such a hoot at work.)
So, it's not that I ever expected this list to be that interesting but it was important to me at the time. Anyway I have projects too so I will write about those later. And hey maybe then I'll actually finish them. [And yes Kay, here are the leaves I have taken from your book, I made a pretty fan out of them!]
At some point during this post I went away to eat dinner and watch Mulan (Mysterious as the dark side of the moooooon~), see if you can guess when!
(I'll probably forget. I think it's a trick question.)
Next up. Umm if not something about something wordy, then something about towns/cities maybe. Or food. I like food.
WAIT, YOU HAVE BEEN THERE? Watch this ><
ReplyDeletehttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nMZVbVNurUs&feature=related
Thanks to smap it is now my #1 place I want to go to now...
Yes that was my first reaction to your first post ><
Also I vote that once a week is a minimum. If not i have already broken it :P Also I am gonna be VERY board for the next week so ya.
mmmmmmm.... Krispy Kremes.
I usually hate airports... especially first thing in the morning. There is nothing open, the people working are grumpy and you just simply wanna get on the plane and leave but 60% of the tim your plane is delayed. It is bull shit... on the other had though I could LIVE in Kansai Airport. Not only do they have amazing shops after you go through customs but also before! as you walk in from the car park, a full on 2 story book store, Uniqlo, a 3 storied 50m long food court, convenient stores on each level and a hotel across the road.
I didn't stay there unfortunately, but yeah we wandered around the shops downstairs and had a look at the pool upstairs. SMAAAAAP.
ReplyDeleteSweet that works :D
Okay, I thought I could live in Singapore Airport, but WOAH Kansai Airport sounds FUNNNN.