Monday, 11 July 2011

Dolls House

So here is my challenge.

I have my Childhood Dolls House that has been in the corner of the spare room for years now covering dust.

so I have decided to give it new life! :) My Dad (Santa!) made this for me when I as 3. It has been in my room since and I used to always play with it when friends came around or on my own. 

He built it and painted it, and also put wall paper on the floor. He even made little furniture to go in it too!

 Starting with this room on the right on the second floor, my aims is to have the main features of this floor done before I head over to Japan.

The rules I have given myself are that I  can't buy any materials apart from topping up my paint and glue and also maybe a bit of thin wood to have a wooden floor for the bottom level. Also I have to keep at least one of the rooms with the wall paper floor and the roof stays red :)


Wall paper off. playing with putting my desk lamp into the room next door to give it some life.



Was not really sure about the blue of the ladder so I started stripping it. the wood under is really nice so if I can got most of the paint off I might leave it as is. 



What I am stuck on is style. when is it set? what life style do they have? I have a thing for 18th Century furniture but that seems a bit over done... ideas?

I really want the bottom level to be a shop. I don't know why but when ever I played with this house that was the way it always was. I am thinking an open cafe? If that is the case I want a kitchen down there. that way the second floor will be less cramped. Another problem is the room in the centre of the house on the second floor. what is it? it can't be a private room as it is the only way to get to the room on the other side... hmmmmmmm

3 comments:

  1. Oh oh oh this is the best challenge :D That room looks really cool with the lamp shining through.

    It kinda depends what you want the building to be as a whole... If you've chosen a shop for the first floor maybe it's better to make it a commercial building as a whole instead of having people living there too. Maybe turn it into a cafe/restaurant/bar type situation? Stick some live music in, or a culinary school or something, could be pretty sweet.

    Alternately, if you have the kitchen/dining area/bathrooms etc... down the bottom, then up the stairs there could be another private dining area, lounge/living room or maybe a study, then private bathroom/shower on the far left? And bedrooms on top?

    Also if there are people living there, what are they like? Is it a family (with children)? Cos let's face it, there aren't really enough rooms in this house to be realistic, so you get a bit of artistic license when you're designing it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. COOOL.

    Also your Dad = Lester Freamon on the Wire, who is like the AWESOME badarse po-lice who builds miniature dollhouse furniture.

    I will think once I've POSTED and get back to you <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think the cafe idea is cool! But now I'm just thinking about French and pastries and those metal tables that have round tops and twirly legs.

    I think you can split commercial/residential across the levels; but people who tend to live above cafes tend to be student-y types, so you could furnish it accordingly? Like, weird quirky furniture they've just picked up from secondhand shops. Especially in the top-most floor. You could have some somewhat-kooky artist person living above the cafe bahaha! Also wood floor is cool.

    ReplyDelete

Followers