Enrolled today, and did some admin things about uni - officially met Buddy 2.0 (who is lovely, ridiculously helpful, and complimented my French! Also her ringtone is the best), as well as the other two exchange students from NZ:
(1) Pirate, who is not so much of a pirate but is very nice and for some reason I get strong 'practical' vibes from her, in a good way;
(2) Other girl, a bubbly vegetarian, who is staying at the shit residence (I saw it today oh GOD) but also seems nice.
Neither of them seem to like speaking French so much but maybe it was just out of habit, I don't know.
And I am the old one out of everyone, though not by too much - and while it may prove to be annoying later, at least I (might not) come off so much as a dick when I'm in organisey mode/actually listened to the French woman's instructions and have to tell everyone what to do.
But that was fun anyway, though I crazily still have no idea when my classes start. As Buddy 2.0 said: Welcome to University of La Rochelle!
Also I really need my mother to leave, goddamn.
I just left her for three hours to enrol etc, and Mother Dearest goes and buys two giant bags full of groceries. For me.
Sure, she was just combining her killing time, with a general concern for me (apparently the 7 year old version, with a cold), but, dude.
Aside from the fact that half of it is stuff I don't even need, let alone stuff I could finish in 5 months - well this is going to sound weird, but fuck it: she freaking stole my first grocery shopping trip for my studio on my exchange.
This may seem like a ridiculous breaking point, but I am starting to break because it's been over a week of:
- complaining that after my second day in a city (both Paris and La Rochelle), I still can't get us to "that place near where we ate yesterday", despite her refusal to even look at the map herself;
- infantile, snarky tantrums she throws when she starts to get hungry (and I'm taking to long to find "that place near that other place"), or sleepy in the afternoon from jetlag;
- the usual lectures about my eating habits and weight - but persistently now, since she has more time to monitor my behaviour [though luckily no more (so far) about the "fact" that the only thing appropriate for my age is a series of meaningless affairs - and yet, despite it being okay not to got married, I apparently still have to have children];
- new lectures about my 'sarcasm', a term she mainly uses to mean statements like "I know, you've said that three times already today" (to which she retorts: "Well I want to say it again!").
I JUST. AHH.
Two and a half more days, then I will be free.
I appreciate her caring blah blah but the point is that she doesn't seem to understand that this is not just some holiday. This is an overseas study exchange, a new learning experience, and, yes, brat-mode: it is MINE at that - and she is slowly, thoughtlessly stealing bits of it from me.
No comments:
Post a Comment