And not in the fun way, unfortunately. As I have been rather pathetically whinging to people, I am not sick enough to be seriously properly sick, but just groggy enough to make it goddamn hard to be productive, and particularly to absorb readings in French.
Incidentally I've pretty much watched four seasons of Skins now. And by pretty much I mean, I finished Episode Two of Season 5 earlier. Also *WARNING: POTENTIAL SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS I warned you, whatever* they keep managing to kill off most of whoever I have picked as my favourites (in the second case, the person who died was my FirstChoice until someone else came in a bit late), so that's rather disenheartening. I'm kinda curious to see if it'll happen again, actually.
Also I've decided that when I'm Grown Up I need to have at least one room in my house where I can walk around in any state of dress and have the curtains/window open without fear of awkward exchanges with passers-by. (It hasn't happened here; I just don't get to see the light of day from my room.)
Anyway I finally left the house today since getting home Friday evening (not counting the time I opened my door at some point on Saturday to hand the exchange girls back the half-bottle of tequila they'd left here a while ago) - and there was SNOW. Well, still not good proper snow, but slightly more proper than the watery flakes we got in Wellington that time, so I was pretty pleased.
So one of the exchange girls and I (other one's going later) had to go get lung x-rays as part of the medical-check-up section of the finalising of the long-stay student visa thing. I think the nurse thought I was a bit dim because I didn't understand all of her instructions, i.e. I wasn't sure how far she meant when she said in French "I'll leave you to take off all your clothes then". And now I've finally learned the French word for 'bra' (which is hilarious considering that I've managed to buy three already, but whatever).
Also I need to hear a Francophone say the word 'lingerie'. I mean, sure in English you say the end of the word as 'ray', but in French normally you'd say 'rie' (as the last syllable of a word) as 'ree', and I'm not aware of any other exceptions, so that's just confusing.
Anyway when we were leaving the x-ray place, I couldn't help but imagine for a second that when I show up to the final visa appointment later this week, they'll look at all my info and my x-ray and be like, "Fuck off back to New Zealand, we can't be liable for killing you with your shitty asthmatic lungs."
In other news, I got streamed into the same CUFLE class as the other two exchange girls; which is fine but means I'm less likely to socialise with others - for a while, at least? Luckily, the course consists of two compulsory classes and one option - like, thematic discussion; and we're all interested in different topics. I'm pretty certain I'm going to do the cinema one (particularly since today in the intro, the teacher asked the students who were still here from last semester, and they said they did four movies, including 'A Bout de Souffle'!).
At least four people were absent to our first CUFLE class, but for certain there's a Greek girl in my class (who, rather adorably, speaks French with Greek rhythm and intonation), and a few also learning Spanish - so I need to find a way to conveniently chum up to them and pick up some phrases, haaa.
No comments:
Post a Comment