Anyway, in the early afternoon I was supposed to have a (different) translation class, and was not-so-secretly hoping that I would enjoy it more than the other translation class, because then I could just switch. Unfortunately, it turned out to be just Vegetarian and I loitering outside the empty classroom for a while. No one showed up, and we weren't even able to confirm whether we had the right time or classroom, because this sorta stuff isn't well advertised, and as exchange students we aren't yet enrolled into the courses (and therefore are denied access to the online intranet thingy).
After a nice bitching session about the state of administration here, I did a few errands (including randomly making sure that I didn't need a visa to visit any of the countries I plan to visit later; all clear, by the way. Yaaaay New Zealand!).
Then I decided it was time to find the university gym. The others were otherwise occupied; but I had vague directions, and a BIKE - SO OFF I WENT!
To see just how off I went, I have had some fun times using Paint.
The BLUE line shows the route that Googlemaps gave me, from near the Office of Tourism in town, to the gym ("left after the Law Faculty").
The GREEN line shows the route I realistically should have taken - which differs because (1) I have a bike and not a car, and (2) I only know one way to get to the Law Faculty from town.
![]() |
| The route I take in future will probably be a mix of the two. |
![]() |
| The spotty bit shows where the biking stopped being fun, and what I can't really remember. Before that it was all nice countryside and cute houses, and even a lonely horse! |
Anyway I have now signed up for two different (free!) dance classes (each involves a two-hour evening class per week) - which I expect to be disastrous until I learn anything, particularly since I am coming in mid-year. I considered paying for gym usage, but the view I had through the glass window was freakin' intimidating, so I decided to skip that. Also it was listed on the pamphletty thing as 'MUSCULATION', which is intimidating enough of itself.
Considered fencing, actually ("escrime", bahaha) - but I'd rather do dance and don't think I have energy for all that. There was also some music-y stuff listed in the back, cultural section of the pamphlet, but I have to ask somewhere else about that stuff, so will hopefully find out tomorrow.
Also had fun checking out the new supermarket - and buying extra, cute stuff I totally don't need, and using Kay's impending visit as an excuse, bahah! Also bought a can-opener, because the one that the residence provided is just WEIRD - and a kettle, because fuck not having a kettle (whine whinge first world problems), and anyway it was only NZD15 and I can totally fob it off on Vegetarian or someone when I leave. I also bought a sharp knife, because the one here is a bit dull and bent slightly at the top - and I've just had the brilliant idea that I could potentially leave small useful House Things with Kay when I go visit her later, BAHAHA.
With four bags and tired legs, I wasn't too keen on biking back home (there had been a bike stand at the gym). Luckily I managed to find a nearby bus-stop, and after being caught scrutinising the bus-stop map with my Frantic Face on, a guy from Côte d’Ivoire (FYI I have decided that some place names/words just sound better in French, also including Cambodge) who was also waiting for a bus, assured me that this stop was heading in the right direction. Also he confirmed my general impression that Les Minimes is nice for the beach but otherwise kinda dead, while town has lots more stuff to do. He hadn't heard of Isaach de Bankolé, but doubt I could spot the All Blacks out of uniform and just had to google how to spell 'Manny Pacquaio', so fair enough.


No comments:
Post a Comment