Monday, 2 January 2012

Paris #3: Food (and some music!)

Well, my jet-lag must finally be sorting itself out, because it's after 10pm and I'm still a bit awake, woo!

Anyway this'll be the last one for Paris (pre-uni, anyway), since we'll be heading to La Rochelle in the morning.

Touristing!


First stop, was Sacre Coeur:
Funiculaire: Cable Car.
A sign in the cable car: Hannahrail!
Magic! The lights + my camera somehow made it look like Halloween in a kid's film.
From here you can't see the broken glass and coloured paper things littered everywhere.
Atop a lonely lampost overlooking Paris, sits a lonely bird. N'aww.

I couldn't take pictures in the actual Sacre Coeur church, but WOAH. Catholicism may worry me sometimes, but damn do they know how to make churches.

Also I tried to take a picture of this silver car (just got blurry taillights), because as it drove away with two manly-looking Europeans, its speakers started blasting Lauren Hill's "I LOOVE YOOU BAAAAABY". Fuck yeah.

Next stop: a proper look at L'Arc de Triomph! We got lost in the hoard of Japanese tourists.
It's SMEAGLE.
Little teste. Just the one.
And by this stage it was only like 10-10.30am, so we wandered down Champs Elysées, and stopped by this chain bakery-type thing called Brioche Dorée [Golden Brioche], and another one simply called Paul - and ate some things that we still haven't finished, including a brioche gingerbread man! (Or, 'bonhomme', weirdly.)

This was from 'Paul'.
We got one without the choclate hat and feet though.
Surprisingly enough, I did manage to gobble down this delicious Tartellette de Framboises [Raspberry little tart!].
The rugby-ball shaped logo was a chocolate button :D
Anyway, wandering on:
The trees along the main avenue were hula-hooping!
Also, apparently Miyazaki's son is doing another animation?
P.S. I love the little advertising stand thing (the posters rotate).
Anyway so, unlike the last time we wandered around Champs Elysées, all the shopping shops were closed, BUT now all the little white house-like stalls that line the park-y area along Avenue de Champs Elysées, towards the Place de la Concorde, were OPEN!


It was like this all up and down the street on both sides.
Like CHRISTMAS, with the smell of mulled wine and roasted chestnuts (both of which I had).
Elysian fields indeed.
One stall had all these CUTE INEDIBLE CANDY THINGS (jewellery, keychains etc).
It was run by this man, who was wearing candy earrings and had dangly candy pins and necklaces on.
Also, about two seconds after this photo he starts singing along to Lou Reed's "Walk on the Wild Side".
The last of the soundtrack ends with this man singing and DANCING to Rihanna's 'S&M'
(which I now associate with a certain uni friend YOU KNOW WHO YOU ARE).

Mum and I split one of the sausages on the/our bottom right of the cooking-thing.
I don't even know what it was (asked the lady what she thought was best), but it was SO GOOD.

MORE MEAT. Which we didn't eat, because we'd stupidly already filled up on bread before.
And next to it, A MOUNTAIN OF CHEESE.
At another stall was chocolate-dipped fruit!
Pear, banana, coconut (apparently), cherry, raspberry, pineapple...
... mixed, mandarins, more bananas, and apples.
Unfortunately stomach let me down and I didn't eat any of them.
My heart would've broken if I hadn't already lost it at the waffle and crepe stands earlier.
And to end our stay in Paris, here is part of the breakfast buffet in the cellar-y breakfast room (it's downstairs from the lobby, and shaped like a cellar, so, yeah) at our hotel:
EGG FERRIS WHEEL.
Someone get me a motorised one so I can be like Wallace and Gromit :D

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers