Sunday, 8 January 2012

La Rochelle #20: Internet and University Library

So, it is currently late afternoon on Sunday 8th, and I will hopefully be posting this tomorrow morning (in two blocks, I suspect) at the uni library, because of my unfortunate internet situation.


The wi-fi at my residence is free, but rather shit and not Skype(or even non-html-gmail or gmail-chat)-friendly. That is not to say that all free wi-fi here is shit, because Vegetarian (NZ exchange student #2; I’ve decided that is her codename) has free internet at her residence that is fast and consistent – but she also has a 9msq room (while I have a considerably bigger studio with a kitchenette), so I’m not too jealous.

I’ve had to get a French bank account after all, so I can buy my own internet (and also to get a bike subscription; success!). Have gone with the company SFR rather than Orange. Both have the cheapest option as a package deal with internet, phone and TV (I can buy a landline phone for 20 euros and get UNLIMITED INTERNATIONAL PHONE CALLS [still undecided as to whether to tell my mother, so everyone hush for now please], but fuck buying a TV) – but the latter is more expensive AND offers a minimum 12-month contract so, yeah no thanks.

Anyway I have to wait till the 16th for the technician to set up a cable in my room (lol I wrote the French spelling for technician and Microsoft Word had to correct me) – the guy at the shop said I’d have internet straight away, but I got a text from them today confirming my appointment, saying I’d be online 48 hours after the technician comes, not even ‘up to 48 hours’, so, eep…

Luckily I am close to the uni library, where I have found free-internet computers for 20min sessions - and I’m presuming you can log on longer if you bring your own laptop. Also then you don’t have to deal with the stupid French keyboards, which are similar but just different enough to piss you the fuck off:
It bloody halves my typing speed, which was last tested (last summer at a temp agency) as 100wpm at 98% accuracy. Fuck yeah admin-monkey.
GOAL: 80wpm on French keyboards by Easter break.
Library is open during the week till evening, and on Saturdays only till 1pm – and that’s enough to keep in basic contact with people, even if not enough to entertain me at night, but I’ll just grow some freakin’ ovaries.

All that aside, Pirate and I checked out the library the other day and took geeky newbie photos (she started it! I like her) – because it is SO COOL.



Wait, is that...
YEAH A CENTAUR BITCHES.
AND A SWIMMING DINOSAUR PERSON.
Vegetarian said that Buddy#1 said there was some sort of (potentially-but-probably-not secret) passage from the uni library to the public library, so will hunt that down at some point.

To end this post, here are some photos of graffiti near uni:
There seems to be a lot of WANK graffiti around the place, I am greatly amused.

4 comments:

  1. if you install other languages on the computer you can use the language bar to change it to the same layout as english i'm pretty sure??

    ReplyDelete
  2. OH convenient! It's like a public uni library computer but will have a look, thanks :)

    P.S. There is a UNIQLO in central Paris!

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh ideal!! UNIQLO is good for fun socks (almost fun tights???) yeah um i'm not sure but hopefully they'd at least have the english and german layouts? i'm not sure tho.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fun socks can be pretty cool too! I got distracted by the sweatdresses and brightly coloured pants last time, but in Europe at least they are more likely to find bigger sizes haha (cf "One size fits all TINYASIANS.")

    ReplyDelete

Followers