Monday, 9 January 2012

La Rochelle #22: Miscellaneous Recent Stuff

SO here are some random things I have inexplicably forgotten to mention, and other things that are new. And I can't be bothered categorising them into separate things as I have before so LOTS OF TAGS.
- THE SHUTTER THAT WAS BROKEN IS FIXED NOW. Am still avoiding the reception area, but the guy manager saw me and smiled, and told me to take the short way and opened the door for me. I didn't see the lady so I took the opportunity to ask about rubbish and recycling, and he said there was a big bin out the back - and then the lady appeared and said he'd probably have to show me, but I said it was fine and hurriedly left.

- The computers around the uni library are labelled COMPOSER NAMES then numbers. So far I have seen (in order of discovery) Vivaldi, Brahms and Bach. Needless to say, I approve, and I will keep looking for more.

 - Today I found out the dates of Easter break, plus the miscellaneous week off we get at the end of February, so can start planning ADVENTURES. (Having tried a glass of cheap Bordeaux wine in Paris that was AMAZING, I am totally keen on going there now.)

- I also FINALLY found out that my Arts classes start next week, law the week after, and French as a Foreign Language (I'm just gonna call that last thing CUFLE from now on and you will just have to deal with that; I am already consistently expanding BU and RU for you) starts the week after that (with a placement test on the 27th to stream us).

- Today I bought a WHISK so I can make crepes (yeah I know there are crepe places everywhere but they are not open at midnight now ARE THEY HMM?). I (eventually, and with much heartbreak) decided against the cheese grater, because now I can just have bigger pieces of cheese. Also decided against any form of herbs other than salt, pepper (granted I have two types - but mashed potatoes is better with ground pepper, and some other things are better with cracked pepper! Plus Mum had bought me one of the latter and I hadn't noticed). Also I bought cinammon for French toast (ahahah).

- Sandwich bread here is pretty average, I may have said that already. However I already bought some and plan to improve it with French toast goodness. So far though I have found that it works if you lightly fry it in a pan of butter, then melt cheese top (GOUDA, IT IS CHEAPER HERE; also I have a massive triangle of brie).

- I have a big fridge (for a student studio) but no freezer so NO ICE CREAM AHH but they have lotsa chocolate mousse-type desserts so might stick to that for a while. Also the meat situation is going to be annoying, but I finally found 125g packs of mince meat so that's okay.

- I saw on a bus-stop map that there is a place called "Place de Pourquoi Pas", which pretty much means "'Why Not' Place." Or Square, since I don't think we do 'Place' much in English any more? I don't know.

- I am totally getting the hang of biking on real roads! It helps that there is usually a bike lane. But anyway, like with everything in life, the trick is pretty much to pretend you know what you are doing, and try not to freak out when a dog appears.
Also there are TWO proper roundabouts (3 exits - plus the one you enter from, so 4 I guess ha) between FLLASH/the Arts department, and lawschool, and I biked through them when there were MOVING CARS, and no one died or was injured or anything! And I had my big coat on and it was flying behind me like I was a SUPERHERO.

There are more things but I have pictures so will leave them for now.

Things I have yet to find out:
- where to buy freakin' rubber bands;
- the location of the uni gym (if not, there is a normal one near me but might be expensive);
- whether the meals at the uni restaurants are any good;
- whether the place on the bus map that says 'Piscine' is actually a swimming pool, and open to the public;
- when the market is open;
- whether there is some sort of choir or dance class at uni I can join (have given up on pole here, sigh); and
- whether there is a piano anywhere that I can play.

And lastly here is an EXCITING STORY:
The other day I was in the Foursquare with Pirate and Vegetarian, and a lady stopped me and asked me where I got my tights (my stripey circus ones from NZ; I suspect Emilio Cavallini but I didn't remember that at the time) - she was a very enthusastic middle-aged lady and said she liked them a lot, and they worked well with my red shoelaces, and that she was a stylist and they gave her IDEAS. She rambled this sort of thing at me for a few minutes, looking me up and down, and eventually wandered away with a busy thinking look.

:D FASHIONABLE IN FRANCE, OH YEAH.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers