Monday, 21 November 2011

2011 NZ Election: Reminder

Oh yeah: election this Saturday.

I can vote now!

Conversations before last election:
Various people: So, who are you voting for?
S: Oh, I can't vote, I'm ineligible. [FYI for ages I kept accidentally saying "illegible" first. Because it's also true.]
Various people: Oh right.

One conversation that went differently:
C: So, who are you voting for?
S: Oh, I can't vote, I'm ineligible.

I've actually forgotten the exact response, but it was essentially one of Julie's token phrases: "Is it because yer AAAASIAAAAN?"

Abahahhaa.

Anyway.

I HOPE YOU ARE ALL VOTING.

I actually still don't know who I'm voting for (despite T's ceaseless attempts to inform me), but at least I am certain that I will vote, properly (and not like just doodle a penis on it, which I'm fairly sure someone I knew did last election).

But you have to vote.

Because Winston Peters exists.

5 comments:

  1. Ugghhhh but voting is haaaard.

    Mostly because, in a disagreement between two parties, I either agree with both, or neither.

    WHY MUST I BE SO DIFFICULT WHY

    Also because I am a pessimist (or perhaps a realist) and I know we'll complain just as much about the people we vote in now as we do the people we (I say we) voted in last time.

    This would be so much easier if we could only believe everything politicians say.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah pretty much.

    T's "guide to voting" (if he were the sort of person to say that was what he was doing, lol):

    (1) If you don't vote, you are endorsing the worst possible outcome by omission; and with NZ First apparently on 4.9% this is DANGEROUS.

    (2) Prioritise issues that mean the most to you, e.g. education, public transport, gay marriage, economics, etc.

    (3) Compare the parties' standpoint on each, and average out.

    If you really can't pick just go for the lesser evil - it's still better than wasting your vote.

    As for the Wellington Electoral Candidate, I say go for STEPHEN WITTINGTON for ACT; I'm not voting for ACT but Stephen is a smart and well-spoken kid (and pro all the rights/freedoms issues, if that is important to you) - and I suspect that you would also appreciate the fact that on his FB (can't copy; it was on T's account) he wrote a poem about why you should vote for him over the other candidates; and also in an online debatey thing (can find you the link if you want?) he had consistently correct English (unlike the other 3 candidates).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry - with the poem, he read it out at a meeting/conferencey event think, and then posted it on FB due to popular demand.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wish I could've voted, but voting is expensive for me as it involves the compulsory purchase of an expensive return ticket back to this piss-and-shithole I live in.

    ReplyDelete
  5. There's actually a procedure for NZ citizens to vote overseas; but I get the impression that for the most part it's rather inconvenient and time-consuming.

    ReplyDelete

Followers