So it's only recently, over the span of a few days, occured to me that I have most of the ingredients to be a workaholic, because I:
- am obsessive
- genuinely enjoy making lists and tables
- enjoy multi-tasking, and generally like having lots of things on my plate at once
- am hyperactive
- am competitive
- have a general desire to do well - I also mean specifically that part of me still thinks of 80% as being "-20" rather than "+80" (which think of as the 'Asian student syndrome', which is funny since I got it from my white father)
- have a pretty good work ethic and am adamantly for meritocracy (i.e. you receive based on output, not need)
- have significant material interests (i.e. I need money to support my hosiery addiction, and also I love fancy food and travelling) - and therefore have ulterior motives to get me into workaholic-habits
- am a selfish creature without dreams of motherhood - and therefore don't necessarily have something fundamental holding me back; and while I am social-ish (above passive, but not incredibly active?), I am not dependently so.
However, because I fall short of being a perfectionist and a complete pedant, I think I'll be okay, PROVIDED that I make sure that part of my obssessiveness and multi-tasking spreads over to non-work things to pull me back - geeky fanfic things and piano.
...
Then again, if I manage to find a job I love I'm in big trouble.
...
I MUST NOT GROW UP TO BE A WORKAHOLIC.
6-year-old me would be so sad.
Then again, this fits into the (latest?) version of my life plan that involves me going crazy before I snap and run off to some tiny apartment in France with a grand piano...
Pffff there's nothing wrong with being a workaholic if there's nothing else you'd rather be doing. And by nothing else, I mean nothing else within reason :P
ReplyDelete