Unfortunately I can't find the clip of Gary Farmer saying the above quote in either 'Dead Man' (as Nobody, officially named Exaybachay, rather suitably (for me) meaning "He Who Talks Loudly, Saying Nothing") or during his cameo in 'Ghost Dog'; but regardless there is our premise.
/wank.
So I was doing more exchange errands today (FYI I bought insurance for the first time and now feel rather grown up), which included a trip to Westpac to sort out a credit card (for emergencies), or rather, to arrange an appointment to do so.
Young blonde white chick stated: "So, I presume you're an international student."
Unless (negative) judgement is attached a comment/implication about me/anyone looking/being Asian (by anyone who isn't a friend and/or who is joking and doesn't sincerely devalue people as a result of their Asianness), then I try to let things like this go, because, face it, I'm not white, and (though this seems to apply wherever I go) I have a "funny accent".
Previous example, which I did not feel too offended by: when an old white man at the Cable Car counter asked if I was a student, and then asked if I attended a NZ university, and then asked for ID.
Significant differences:
- Though his tone was still dubious, at least he ASKED.
- He was old.
The latter makes a difference because I am usually more sympathetic towards old people who, like anyone else, are the product of their environment - and chances are their environment involved a lot more white people.
Exception to waiver of sympathy for the elderly: (old) people who are not just Euro-centric and/or ignorant, but are also arseholes who imply or add value judgments to race/ethnicity/nationality/colour or whatfuckingever, beyond the simple and convenient physical trait to distinguish one person from another person.
[Nothing (I hope) will ever beat the fucking busdriver who INCORRECTLY corrected my English, made me doubt my fluency, and then yelled abuse at the "Japanese cars" who weren't doing anything wrong.]
So, naturally I also tend to be less sympathetic towards younger people (Miss banking what'sherface looked only a few years older than me) because what with the international interaction and migration, and modern globalness, there is now a smaller chance that someone who looks different is actually from elsewhere.
Exception to heightened expectation of youth: dipshits like the girl in highschool who complimented me on my 'tan'.
In short, while this doesn't happen very often, and despite my attempts to be calm and rational about it, it's still damned annoying - especially when you're already tired to begin with; and especially when it doesn't take much more time or effort to phrase a presumption into a polite and professional question.
I've been through your idiotic NCEA system, have been delayed and stranded by your inefficient public transport and pay income tax to your government. I may insult you and disparage at your lack of Dunkin' Donuts; but even though I was not born here I have nevertheless lived here for most of my life, and I'd rather not have to staple to my New Zealand (and, for several years now, only) passport to my forehead.
It's just thoughtlessness like this that upsets me and makes me spend the rest of the day thinking "you people".
No comments:
Post a Comment