Saturday, 5 November 2011

3-course meal time

I've been excited about this for a while, and today I finally cooked a three-course meal as part of my birthday present to my mother. So naturally, I took pictures.

I started with a small salade niçoise, although I didn't have any anchovies so technically I didn't. No photos for this one because the egg kinda exploded and looked pretty ugly.

The main course was boeuf bourguignon, which was much easier to make than I expected, although still rather time-consuming. At least it's the sort of dish that can be made well ahead of time, which meant I could prepare most of it earlier in the day and then just heat it through again before serving. Time management is often my downfall in the kitchen (and probably in many other areas as well >< ) so this was handy.
And now photographs.


Nyammmmmmmmmmm
The recipe has two sub-recipes in it, which means having to prepare the mushrooms and onions separately. I used red onions instead of brown, which I think made the dish look a little more interesting than if everything were brown. I guess it's not the prettiest looking meal anyway... The red wine, herbs and onion juices made the whole house smell AMAZING.


Also made my own bread to go with it. It was based off a baguette recipe, but much quicker. Again, time-saving yaaaaaaaay.


Slow cooking is the very best for tender, melt-in-your-mouth meat. NOM.

The best thing is we've still got leftovers for tomorrow ♥

And then dessert. Summer berry jelly and lemon verbena panna cotta with strawberry coulis. In hearts!


I do so love my heart-shaped ramekins.
Ah, you can really tell desserts are more my thing, huh. Making is pretty is just so much easier, I think. I really like how the colour from the berry layer has seeped into the panna cotta a little to give it a few really vibrant thin, red stripes. Much more attractive than brown casserole, even if it is tasty, glistening brown casserole.

Oh, and I think I've finally come up with the best recipes for Sarita and Julie's cakes :D Although in Sarita's case I am going to have to get a jar of peanut butter to experiment with (it's been so long since I had peanut butter... Which is probably a good thing).

I am also quite excited for the fireworks tonight but might not get to see much of them cos I can't be bothered walking up Mt. Victoria after such a big meal XD We'll see how it goes.

1 comment:

  1. WOAH TWO POSTS IN A ROW :p

    More importantly OMG NOMNOMNOM!
    I went through a BIG phase of salade niçoise back in the day when Mum was the only person I regularly socialised outside of school, bahaha.

    CAAAAAAAKE.

    ReplyDelete

Followers