Monday, 19 December 2011

End of uni/work, and La Rochelle #16: Buddy 2.0

General updates first: I survived my essay and am even kinda pleased with it! XD


Also have finished job#2 for now, and am currently at last day of job#1 (haha yeah I know; but Boss#1 is in a meeting and Boss#2 is returning from a haircut shortly - and I work/type quickly).

Job#1 is guaranteed when I return, so that is awesome, but I really really hope that I can get some work with job#2, or at least some sort of spin-off work (one lady told me to make sure I email the project boss when I get back, and also try to contact the law librarian person in their unit :D). They are so lovely and were being all friendly and nice about me going off on exchange.

Friendly and supportive work environment, with magic box of biscuits and a sandwich toaster in the kitchen: that's the dream. I really wish I'd bought them Christmas presents now, even though I only knew them for a couple months...

As for France...
Recently received an email from ULR (Uni of La Rochelle) that I have been re-allocated a new buddy due to 'administrative' problems. Buddy#2 isn't doing so well for herself because she hasn't replied to my email yet, BUT it IS the Christmas period, and Buddy#1 had apologised for late reply once because she didn't have internet at home. So, fair enough.

Anyway the same exact thing happened to the other girl going to ULR from Vic - with the same exact buddy(#1), which I find absolutely hilarious. Another stunning performance by a French bureau. (Am SO glad I decided long ago that France would be somewhere I'd want to retire, rather than work.)

Yes, so this other girl from Vic - let's call her Pirate. Vic OE people sent me the email addresses of a student who went to ULR last year, one currently on exchange, and one going at the same time as me (I wonder if there are more?) - I originally ignored her email because I'm like that, but she contacted me and we've been emailing for a little while now, exchanging preparation-y details and such.

She's a year younger - almost exactly; also I'm scared I'm going to be the super-old one since people normally do university exchanges in 2nd or 3rd year, eeeee. I like her so far, by which I mean she seems organised and her emails are grammatically correct. She uses the right amount exclamation marks: not so much to show that she is a complete ditz, but enough to show that she is reasonably enthusiastic.

[Spoiler alert from 2013: Abridged, just 'cause. Also retrospect is hilarious.]

2 comments:

  1. I had some free time, ok! I had some free time and I chose to spend it loitering around your LJ, so sue me! (puns intended)

    Dear GOD.

    The internet makes it difficult to see this, but I am grinning as I type this. Pirate. It's much better than The Soft, which makes it sound like the girl has erectile dysfunction.

    ReplyDelete
  2. :p

    My French friend translated it as "The Smooth" actually, which brings to mind legs or pinstripe-suited-gangsters.
    (I think 'doux/douce' is more soft as to sound, and smooth/soft-ish as to texture? Yeah.)

    ReplyDelete

Followers