Firstly: HAPPY NEW YEARS EVERYONE!
Due to jetlag (i.e. no way we'll even stay up till even 10pm - Mum's already been sleeping since 6pm), Mother Dearest and I 'celebrated' New Years at NZ time (Paris noon) with a bottle of Evian and
Petit Ecolier at the Metro station of Musée D'Orsay, as we were heading back to Central Paris from Versailles. Also we had awesome lunch about an hour later [see: very end of post].
Recent purchases include: token bag that says 'Paris', awesome blue (dark cyan?) woollen dress, airy patterned summer dress, magenta-ish plain top (it's ridiculously soft and comfortable), and one of those hats with the earflaps and pompom on top - which was actually from the children's section and therefore I had to get XL but GROWNUP HATS ARE BORING COLOURS.
Anyway, so we've spent the last two days properly Touristing. I've taken a lot of photos so I'll try to cut things down a bit (but I have just enough to screw up the spacing of this post, OH WELL).
 |
ACTION SHOT.
Here is the hop-on hop-off tourist bus pulling in to pick us up.
It had earphones you could plug in to listen to random facts, like - |
 |
- these stones were taken from the Bastille Prison,
which, as a symbol of absolute royal power, was destroyed,
and made into the bridge so that people could continue to trample on it.
I missed the bridge name, but it's between L’Assemblée Nationale (where Parliament meet),
and Place de la Concorde.
|
Token (arty!) shot of the Eiffel Tower:
 |
| - which we didn't climb, because the queue was as long as the tower is tall. Fuck that. |
We went to the Louvre of course, but only managed to cover part of the Denon Wing, because it's fucking massive - and also the entry is only 10 Euros/NZD17 (WHAT) so I'm totally coming back later. Also we bought a token Mona Lisa bag, hah.
I didn't take many pictures of paintings, but:
 |
Paris Bordon, 1540 - Mythological couple.
Aka "nomnomnom neeeeck". |
 |
Domenico Zampieri, aka Le Dominiquin, c. 1617-18 -
Saint Cécile with an angel holding a music score.
FYI guys: by next Christmas I want a cherub to hold my music scores.
|
 |
Close-up of part of the Sabine Women painting (Jacques Louis DAVID, 1799).
We went to a shop the next day, and Mum pointed out the weirdly positioned manniquin.
It was standing like the Sabine woman in white. Only in France, man, only in France. |
|
|
|
|
 |
Here's a metope from the Parthenon!
I can't even remember if that's also the English name for them. |
 |
And here's a closeup of a medusa-thing around the neck of Athena Parthenos.
I ended up taking a couple of shots of the various statues of Athena, with close-ups of her boobs. |
 |
| And here's a lady and a baby hanging out in a corner of the ceiling. |
 |
And here's an even MORE epic corner of the ceiling.
It's a fucking gold eagle, people! |
|
 |
A shot of a closed-off area, through a window.
Awesome staircase and some canines; reminded me of Narnia. |
 |
SO many statues outside; the first day at the Louvre we didn't even go in and I still had so many pictures.
Oh yeah and I don't know why this one guy was headless. |
 |
| Some babes chillin'. |
 |
Also someone needs to tell me the name of the building opposite the Louvre -
with the AWESOME SNOWFLAKE WINDOW. |
We didn't go inside Notre Dame either - but I'll probably come back just to see gargoyles -
 |
| Notre Dame also has awesome windows. |
 |
| "Fuck yeah I'm a statue." |
Some random things:
 |
Close-up of an awesome thing on L'Arc de Triomph (I think).
FYI Mum's camera's time stamp is 12 hours off. |
|
 |
Pretty golden statue-ness at the top of L'Academie Nationale de la Musique.
This might actually just be known as the Paris Opéra now, I'm not sure.
Mum and I got quite lost around the Place de L'Opéra looking for that damned tourist bus.
Also SO MUCH GOLD.
|
 |
| There was a line of busts of musicians along the top of the building like a frieze. |
 |
| MY BOY. |
 |
| A random statue of a lady pulling up her tights. (There was a vertical line of 3 different ones.) |
 |
Street name where the previous photo was taken, along the tourist bus route.
Someone figure that out for me please: Boulevard de la xxxx. |
 |
| A weird clock-thing near Gare [Station] Saint-Lazare, early morning. |
 |
| A tree around 8-9am. |
 |
Little shops (paintings and books) along the side of the Seine.
When they're closed they look like big rubbish bins. |
And this morning we went to Château Versailles! Again, just the outside. (Mum and I might not be the best of tourists.)
 |
2 Buskers on the RER - the 'Everlast' jacket guy was the saxophonist collecting money;
the accordionist was kind enough to pose. |
 |
| Fuck I love cobblestones. |
 |
| The golden top to the golden gate of Versailles. |
 |
To the side of the main gate.
Cardcaptor Sakura, anyone? |
 |
Badarse statues on a rooftop.
Everyone should watch the "Blink" episode of Doctor Who (s3, ep10). CAREY MULLIGAN. |
 |
| I took a lot of photos of rooftops. |
 |
| Chimneys, also chimneys. And ADORABLE LAMPOST. SO MAGICAL. |
|
THE END:
 |
CHOCOLATE PANNA COTTA IN EUROPE IS HEAVEN.
This was after Veal Escalope Milanese, with ratatouille.
Omfg. |
No comments:
Post a Comment