Bunka Fashion College
bunkafashioncollege facebook
the first two days they called it the summer seminar where we were able to choose a thing we wanted to do.
Some of the courses were;
Make a dress
Make a convertible skirt/dress
Make a men's shirt
Make a hoodie
Learn to do hair and makeup
Learn to draw fashion illustration
I decided to do the shirt as it said it was the only course that used professional machines that the students use. The other courses used normal house hold machines. having done a lot of sewing already I thought it would be good to give myself a challenge.
It was quite hard at first to get used to the machines as all the buttons were in different places. for example you had to use both feet of the pedal for the machine to go, if you pressed back with your fee on the pedal the string you are sewing with will get cut and to release the foot (here the needle is there is a foot designed the aid the fabric from going through smoothly) you have to push you knee quite hard to the right. So many times I accidentally sewed too much when I wanted to release the foot. ><
Over all, give or take a few fuck-ups I was able to finish with quite a lot of extra time. So I added an extra pocket :)
The machines they have are amazing. they have a fabric cutting machine that not only can cut the fabric out in 5 min including all makings etc to line up your sewing, it can do this for up to 60 garments at a time. Bunka is the only school that has this machine.
It is surprizing what I took for granted at High School thinking they were things most schools had and worked with, such as button sewing on machines and button hole machines, that most of the other students had not even heard of.
Another exciting thing I know you two would like, is that they have printers that can PRINT YOUR DESIGNS ON TO TIGHTS! ok sure most schools have this but it is exciting for me! :P
To end the long two days of hard work we used the school hall to show off what we had made.
***
The last day was the open day where we were able to get tours of the school and experience the school in action. As we were so busy for the last two days and couldn't really have a look at the school this was a great opportunity.
IT IS HUGE. 5 building all with at least 10 stories plus a small hall and the Big hall we did our show in.
the B1 floor of the main building is a huge cafeteria with 4 different options; a bakery, a sweets shop the main shop that caters most Japanese foods and about 10 vending machines. across the corridor is a fabric shop, a book store and the library which is full of about 80,000 books on fashion as well as most main fashion magazines from around are up to date.
There was also a fashion show by the students now in the same hall that we had done our show that day before. (photo from the finale) This was quite inspiring.
So yeah. That is my last few days. Went to see the Broadway show on Tour here at the moment, Chorus Line yesterday too. It was... ok. I mean it is not a favorite BW show, but it had it's moments I think. one of the actors had a cold or something though his voice was so bad >< you would think if they are from NY they could sing in tune >< meh
might do a rant about visiting Japan next as I have nothing better to do at the moment ><

TIGHTS TIGHTS TIGHTS; you should steal a machine XD
ReplyDeleteI wonder if it's easier to use them if you're like a drummer. Or maybe those interests don't often overlap?