It's all go at Massey... I (together with the four other people in my group) now have a live brief to design various items such as identity, logo, business cards and stationery etc... for the Farsite Gallery out in the Hutt. It's part of the Design and Business paper in which we learn about the financial and client relations side of designing. Sounds like it's going to be fun, I'm quite looking forward to it, although it sounds like it's going to be another time-eating assignment. At least we get the full twelve weeks instead of just six.
As part of the introduction to the paper we've been asked to do some personality tests based on the Meyers-Briggs type test... which is great and all but a lot of the questions seem quite ambiguous (at least for me), which is strange because it's supposed to be simple yes-or-no answers.
Like this one for example: You enjoy having a wide circle of acquaintances Y/N
I... wouldn't know. I mean, it sounds like fun but maybe if I actually knew a lot of people I would want to know less of them. Alas, I know no other way.
Also: It's difficult to get you excited Y/N
Well, it's difficult to make me look excited. I get pretty worked up about a lot of things, but often it's difficult to tell. Admittedly most of the time I'm a cool, reserved person but then there are those weird moments where I wave my hands about, speak in funny voices and receive worried looks from passers-by. So... How do I answer this?
I don't much care for this yes/no format. It's designed so that there's no sitting-on-the-fence, vague answers but often no one is that well defined, especially when the answer depends on a certain situation. Generally a person will have a tendency towards one option or the other, but I'm such a sitting-on-the-fence, vague person most of the time that I can't always work like that. Also I can't help but feel I gave a lot of contradictory answers throughout the course of the test.
For example, there were a few questions like "You spend your leisure time actively socializing with a group of people, attending parties, shopping, etc." and "After prolonged socializing you feel you need to get away and be alone" to which I answered No and Yes respectively. But then it asks "Often you prefer to read a book than go to a party." Actually, I think I would choose a party over a book, but I'm thrown off by this "often" part. If given the choice I would rather go out but I don't much because... well, I don't get invited to many parties and "often" I have something I would rather do than go out (and therefore would also rather do than read). So do I take the question literally and say no I would rather go to a party or do I take it to mean, "you'd rather do something by yourself than be surrounded by (probably unfamiliar) people" in which case yes, yes I would. Then there's "You prefer to spend your leisure time alone or relaxing in a tranquil family atmosphere". This is true, but I also like to go out shopping and hang out with my friends, who may or may not be as quiet as I am.
Having a tendency towards introspection means I already know myself better than any personality test.
Yeah, there's a big danger in sticking to binaries in personality tests (or for that matter in any sort of test that isn't purely mathematical or that doesn't have a clearer true/false nature). Sure, you get the result quickly, but it oversimplifies people. I tend to get labelled as either way more antisocial or hyper-social than I consider myself to be, i.e. extroverted founded on an introvert.
ReplyDeleteI think 0-5 scales are better.