Anyway.
Given that I definitely DEFINITELY cannot cross-credit papers to my French degree, and that the French lecturer implied that I should stick to easy papers due to language difficulty -
[Intermission for reproduction of actual conversation:
"That is the equivalent of a second-year paper, you can't do that, you'll fail."
"Um. I can always try? I did the 300-level language papers last year, and I also did the DELF B1 test, got about 85%?"
"B1? You mean C1? B1 is too low!"
"Oh? Well, but I did it last year... and I'm doing 300-level literature now?"
"I guess you could try... Hmm..."
Note: Chances are she is right about the difficult of language barrier; it's just that I wish she was just a bit nicer about it, and not just say "Hmm well you're lucky you got away with that", as if it were my fault that a lecturer (who I reasonably believed was in charge of the programme) had given me permission to do so.
In contrast, the lady who helps BA students more generally explained to me once that law in French and in France would be damn hard to follow, but did so in a manner that was clear but still encouraging.
*End intermission.*]
"That is the equivalent of a second-year paper, you can't do that, you'll fail."
"Um. I can always try? I did the 300-level language papers last year, and I also did the DELF B1 test, got about 85%?"
"B1? You mean C1? B1 is too low!"
"Oh? Well, but I did it last year... and I'm doing 300-level literature now?"
"I guess you could try... Hmm..."
Note: Chances are she is right about the difficult of language barrier; it's just that I wish she was just a bit nicer about it, and not just say "Hmm well you're lucky you got away with that", as if it were my fault that a lecturer (who I reasonably believed was in charge of the programme) had given me permission to do so.
In contrast, the lady who helps BA students more generally explained to me once that law in French and in France would be damn hard to follow, but did so in a manner that was clear but still encouraging.
*End intermission.*]
- but also considering that I want my exchange to count for SOME part of my degree, and not just unnecessarily lengthen it, THIS is the new plan (i.e. forget anything I've said about my degree):
I shall graduate at the end of Trimester One,
I managed to find an Introduction to International Relations course at La Rochelle, hidden amongst the first year law papers, and found other politicsy ones, and surely at least 1 if not 2 papers should be able to cross-credit. Hopefully I get into and pass one law paper too, but I always have two French literature back-ups (need to pass 3 courses for it to contribute to vic degree).
But...
The new problem is, there was a protest last week, of students and lecturers against proposals for upcoming changes to the POLS/IR departments and courses.
I later found out about a general narrowing towards Asian studies...
Good news: I've already done a course about the EU, and the course on International Relations in East Asia might be interesting.
Bad news: I'm quite keen to do the Modern American Politics course too...
SO hopefully they don't do change anything till after I've graduated. Or, you know, at all, because I don't know what sort of Political Science and/or International Relations programme ONLY LOOKS AT ASIA, as awesome as it is.
No comments:
Post a Comment