Tuesday, 2 August 2011

La Rochelle Part Three: There's Still Hope

It's wanky analytical time.

Current problems with exchange:
- I'm not getting my first choice (not in itself a major deal);
- I can't do philosophy;
- I can't do political science;
- Unless I get permission, I can't cross-credit French papers to my French major;
- It is difficult to cross-credit law papers at La Rochelle;
- I only need to cross-credit courses to my degree in general for the exchange to count, but this means I will have to stay in Wellington longer, which also potentially delays my plans for Canada.

So, have been contemplating the various combinations of variables in my determining HOW TO FIX THIS:

(1) Getting nominated to Lyon after email to Exchange Office.
Pros: Would fix ALL the problems.
Cons: Ridiculously unlikely.
(2) Pushing back OE to Trimester Two 2012. Pros: (a) A variable I actually have control over; (b) I could do my remaining French lit course which is only offered in Trimester 1, and potentially finish at the end of 2012.Cons: (a) Still not guaranteed to be nominated to Lyon; (b) stuck in Wellington twiddling my thumbs for another 6 months.

(3) Getting my French lecturers to allow me to cross-credit my remaining literature course.
Pros: (a) Keren, the French lecturer who allowed me to do 300-level lit before 200-level lit (which is the remaining course, and also a prerequisite for the 300-level), emailed in response to my suggested equivalent La Rochelle paper that it sounded "tout acceptable"; (b) it would no longer be necessary for my French major to attend Vic for Trimester 1 of 2013.
Cons: (a) I emailed a stricter and arguably-more-in-charge French lecturer last year who told me that I'd done all French papers that could be cross-credited for the major; Keren said she would forward our emails to her, so am awaiting confirmation.

(4) Dropping my Philosophy major.
Pros: (a) Another variable I can fully control; (b) I could finish my undergraduate university studies early, in November 2012.
Cons: (a) I wouldn't have studied Philosophy in France; (b) I wouldn't have a philosophy major.

Particularly considering that I picked up the Philosophy major at the start of 3rd year, then dropped it at the end of 3rd year [once I realised that (a) Vic didn't seem to be offerin the Philosophy of Language course, which is the main one I really want to do; and (b) I had been using my Political Science major to do half Philosophy anyway, so would be further abusing my Politcal Science major by just doing more Philosophy courses] - the only way I can justify retaining my philosophy major is to have the viable option to study philosophy in France, which was the only reason I had recently decided to pick it up again.

Best-case scenario: 3+4.

Awaiting confirmation for (3).

EEEEEEEEEEE.

2 comments:

Followers