Friday, 10 February 2012

La Rochelle #35: The Dinner

The summary of tonight requires a bit of backstory.
Through a series of events it is now evident that I am closer to Buddy#1 than the other two exchange girls, partly just by being in the right place at the right time (and partly things that have been abridged).


Buddy#1 invited me to a thing tonight. Technically I accidently mentioned the thing to the other exchange girls, out of awkward guilty social politeness - till I found out that Buddy#1's social thing was in fact a dinner and drinks at someone else's house, i.e. someone else's party, and as she was already bringing me and a couple others, she couldn't really bring more tagalongs.

There was more awkward guilty social politeness as I withdrew the invitation via text, but fuck I wasn't fussed when they had a pizza-making party (and by pizza I mean canned tomato stuff on croissants, apparently) in the hostel kitchen at Vegetarian's without me, so I'm sure we can all be grown up about this. BUT we're all meeting up tomorrow so that should be fine.

ANYWAY in sum the thing tonight was SO AWESOME, here are some bullet points (by which I mean BULLET PARAGRAPHS) because I want to sleep now:

- When I entered the house, through waves of hello-kisses, I smelled DELICIOUS THINGS that turned out to be perfectly-cheesed (vegetarian! Surprisingly good) lasagne. After briefing a couple people on who I was, I shortly found myself in a conversation about an erotic show that some people had seen the previous week, where a woman had inserted water in herself so as to squirt it out into a guy's mouth, or something - and my contribution: the relevance of pelvic weights.
The point of this is that five minutes in I knew I was amongst people I would be comfortable talking to, cf having to slowly wean the exchange girls to my varyingly-vulgar ways.

- There was a fun mix of French, various American and various English - including a girl who is Englishy-Irish or fuck I don't know but anyway she studies at BELFAST, POTENTIAL CONNECTION WOO. Most of the English are here teaching English at primary school, and the locals are locals doing whateverthefuck.

- THE HOST, a hilarious and charming superfab Americanboy (originally from Arizona) who had done most of the cooking, while dancing frequently (while cooking or otherwise). He gets bonus points for: insisting everyone speak French while at the table; cooking way too much food; knowing (Peruvian) Spanish; also knowing how to make tortillas (I helped!) - also teaching Buddy#1 and I A BIT OF CAPOIERA (yeah I forgot everything I tried to learn that time with my Latina-y-connected-friend from NZ).

- Host also gets BONUS POINTS for being one of the few (I can only remember one but there may have been another) white people who have casually guessed on first go what Asian I was. Belfast was going to say the same (she swears), so I gave her half points.

- Also Host called me "ma petite Néo-Zélandaise" et "petit kiwi" at some point. In any other context I'd probably reject both terms; but yes I do want to have his fabulous dancing babies, so fuck off 'cause so did all the other uteruses in the room. Also-also he said he'd make me EMPANADAS.

- A couple of French late-comers brought a mysterious bottle of strawberry and vanilla infused rum, which one had stolen from his landlord's cellar (so no one knew the alcohol percentage). It had a nice kick to it, and I used a knife to pry out all the strawberry slices, and ate most of them. THEY had a real kick.

- Buddy#1 and I arrived after the mulled wine had been finished, but there were apple slices left in the bottom of the pot so I ate those too.

- GOOD FRENCH WINE.

- Why do all the locals find it greatly amusing when they hear me exclaim 'BORDEL!' the first time? Buddy#1 says now I have to learn to double/multi-barrel my curses. PUTAIN DE BORDEL et quoi.

- Also on the walk home, I took the liberty of writing 'BORDEL' in the snowy-icy-stuff across the windscreens and/or rooves of various cars. Yeah I'm real badarse.

BED.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers