Monday, 20 February 2012

La Rochelle #40: Honesty, Jam and First Holiday Plans

Update: Technical difficulties with courses -> I'm a bit fucked.
That is (in case I haven't mentioned bits of this before):
- EU law tutorials started after three weeks into the lectures;
->  found out there was a clash between these (compulsory) tutorials and CUFLE;
-> EU law class available without tutorials, but for 5 points less;
-> to meet uni requirements, I have to return to the putain de merde inefficient translation class, and pick up another too, if it isn't too late.
OH AND SPEAKING OF GOOD TIMING this week is off for Arts-faculty; and next week is a holiday for all. So I'm most likely going to have to cop out and do English translation stuff and/or first year French literature so I don't flunk.

Super.

BUT hey apparently this is where France's ridiculous organising skills are handy.

Anyway, ON A BETTER NOTE: why being openly enthusiastic and honest is awesome.

(1) DE LA CONFITURE. 
(This means 'some jam'. I am intentionally using a silly anglicisme here being it amuses me; pretty much it involves a first-year French tutorial with code-name PetitChou.)
The other day I got sick of not having any sort of (external, anyway) music instrument, and so I bought A MELODICA, specifically this one.
I got excited about it on Facebook.
And then today, the Mauritian guy I'd met at the AwesomeDinnerParty told me that he and OldGirl had guitars and were going to meet up to JAM at her place, and invited me along.

THEN I GOT TO HAVE TWO HOURS OF JAMMY MUSICAL FUN. We played a bunch of songs I didn't know but that was pretty much irrelevant; also we played 'Bittersweet Symphony', Beatles and Leonard Cohen hahaha.

MauritianGuy is a pretty impressive guitarist (and also brought a harmonica); OldGirl only just started learning before she came to France but she's alright - and they both have a good pair of lungs on them so I was pleased!

There was potential for awkwardness when I realised that (1) Mauritian guy had invited me over without asking OldGirl; and (2) there are seriousromantic vibes between the two, which in retrospect I should've picked up when I'd seen them interact at an international students FREECREPES (they had nothing in them but at least it was FREE) party thing the other week - but I'd been too busy getting my dance on. Also he's just finished his Masters or something and is officially buggering off somewhere next week, so I don't think they're a seriousthing (anymore?).

At any rate, when he went to go answer a phone call, I told her that they were very cute singing together (she beamed), and made a point to keep to myself a bit more. (Pretty much I know how to be a good third wheel as long people don't get carried away with pashing etc.)

Anyway OldGirl said we should jam again sometime :D

P.S. MauritianGuy mentioned that a French guy from the AwesomeDinnerParty HAS A BASS GUITAR AND RECENTLY BOUGHT A KEYBOARD. He shall be codename Little, because he was both little and quiet, and while he could be Beanie that'd be confusing if he doesn't always wear it. So, yeah. I have to somehow hunt him down and make friends with him. Or go to another dinner party and hope he's there. (FYI it was cancelled last week because ArizonaGuy went to Bordeaux. I'm not sure if I'll get invited this week with Buddy#1 being away, so, yeah. Fingers crossed though.)

(2) FIRST HOLIDAY.
Next week we get a week's holiday. If it weren't for CUFLE, Pirate and Vegetarian would be free now, while I'd still have law-faculty stuff. But unlike them I'm not massively fussed because (1) La Rochelle is pretty cool; and (2) my rent is expensive so I don't want to spend tooo much time away now when I'm going properly-adventuring next holidays.

Anyway, they're still buggering off early to go to Spain; I thought of joining them but:
(1) Spain wasn't part of my original plan/budget for a reason. If I go somewhere, I want to have FUN and that usually involves money. Also time. But mainly money. And I've been buying lots of tights online recently.

(2) Then there would be just over a week of us three, alone, together, always.
...
While we do have some good moments, a lot of our interaction involves varyingly-awkward silence, and what has now deteriorated to my complete lack of patient-compassionate-understanding-good-person-ness when it comes to the NZ-nationality question (it's okay I'm still civil, and return to friendly when the topic of conversation changes).

Actually I got randomly tested the other night at the CrepesParty (FYI AsianBrother was there; unfortunate) - Pirate asked me to name the captain of the All Blacks. I half-heartedly asked her to name me five philosophers, then started pondering what to drink (whiskey or whiskey).

Vegetarian said that my question was too specialist and it would be like her asking me about [insert businessy economics jargon here]. And I said yes, but she's interested in that and NZ-pride stuff, and I'm not so much.  Then Vegetarian said sure, but exclaimed that when *I* do it it's like treason.

Having already given up on them, I just said that there clearly was an idea that wasn't getting through, and to just forget it. The night continued peaceably enough.

ANYWAY.
The point is: because I didn't censor myself that time, I now know how they're annoying, and so I don't have to travel with them (and randomly find out about this while stuck travelling). YAAAAY! Seriously I was almost going to go, before the highschooldrama shit went down. But I'm sure Barcelona (and Madrid yes etc whatever) will still be there some other time. Also, UK/Ireland adventures, man.

SO yeah, they're doing that; I'm gonna chill here for a bit and see if I can find some company - then we'll meet up in Toulouse for a couple days (just bought my tickets!), and check out Carcassonne (see: FORTIFIED CITY, google image NOW) while we're there. I'll get there a bit earlier to look around by myself and also check out something called the Metropolis Exposition (which I hope is what I think it is!).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers