Timetable failure sorted out! Ha-HAH.
I am now enrolled in a first year general/comparative literature paper, which:
(1) is already on my list of cross-credit-able courses with Vic, so I don't have to fuck about with that so much;
(2) means I don't have to take any other additional classes, including the translation class
(3) according to the teacher taking the literature course, they just finished studying a novel in English that seems pretty interesting, so I'll be reading that during the holidays.
Update for Long-Term Business:
So, in a blogpost a while back I mentioned that my life plans have changed, AGAIN. But then I didn't really follow through.
Actually when I started this post I was in quite an excited rambly mood 'cause I'd just been Skyping my mum - which is usually not super interesting, but this time I told her about the 'third culture kid' stuff and also we talked about our future plans a bit, so it was cool. Anyway now I've calmed down about it after having bumped into people online, sooo yeah.
BUT since I've started, here is the summary: I have scrapped the 'Lawyer in Canada' plan.
I will now be: A (LEGAL) INTERPRETER IN NEW YORK.
Points to note:
(A) 'Interpreter'
- Interpeting and translating are different. Interpreting is about spoken language (also sign language), and translating is written language.
- If I train to become an interpreter, I can be a translator when I am old.
- There is also SIMULTANEOUS INTERPRETING, and it is all about splitting your attention span! (see: the closest I'll ever get to being like Bartimaeus or Agnes Nitt - also neither of those links actually tell you what I mean but in short: I wish I could be on multiple trains of thought/be able to sing multiple parts, simultaneously).
(B) '(Legal)'
Relevance of law degree? Interpreting for courts and law firms! Relevance of politics major? Interpreting for the UN and similar organisations. Sweeeeeeeet.
Also, Proctocat told me sometime ago (jesus I haven't mentioned him a while, if even on this blog??) that once he was court-reporting (watching a case, taking notes, essentially), and there was a Chinese witness who had an interpreter. The lawyer asked the interpreter, "Can you ask him [blahblahblah]?" And the interpreter replied, "Sorry, who's 'him'?" Because, as an interpreter, you aren't really a person so much as a medium. I LIKE THAT LOTS.
(C) 'New York'
FLEXIBILITY. Unlike the lawyer who is restricted by a licence to practice law in a specific country (or in Canada's case, in a specific province), it is easier for interpreters to go travelabouts!
(D) [Lack of language mentioned]
I have a legitimate excuse to properly learn Spanish, and also (later on, potentially) Japanese!
*insert evil cackle*
No comments:
Post a Comment