Monday, 27 February 2012

La Rochelle #44: More food and some boats

Even though it's technically still winter, today La Rochelle was SO PRETTY.

Random harbour photo from across the road, because I like trees.
Also that little shed thing. I don't know what it does.
HEYHEYHEY MAYBE IT DOES WHAT TREES DO - IT SHEDS.
AHAHAHAHA.

So this afternoon I sat on a bench by the water, with iced tea and a 30cm Subway sandwich (15cm of which was free; yay grocery coupons!); while enjoying the perfect level of sun (i.e. not noticeably hot enough to threaten me into hiding in Asian-fear-of-tanning); listening to Bon Iver; secretly wearing the corset I recently ordered online; ignoring meandering dogs in favour of cute passing Frenchmen; and watching the occasional boat come in and out of the harbour:
I got to see the bridge raise!
This is only the second time I've seen it happen, so it's still a novelty.
And another weeny boat!
And then I grabbed a bike to head into town to watch 'The Artist' (FUN; also someone teach me to tapdance please), with my little bag of chouquettes from a nearby bakery:
Pack of 12 for just over NZD3. NOM.
They seem to be like little fluffier versions of (unfilled) profiteroles, studded with sugar.
Early that morning, from the same bakery, I'd bought for breakfast:
A 'Suisse'!
- which is like a pastry swirl with chocolate bits, coated in powdery sugar.
GOD the chocolate they put in their pastries here is soooo goooood.
FYI this is an ACTION SHOT; I was heading to the Foursquare for milk and mandarins.
And this is a SOMUCHFLUFFY pain au chocolat (for 1 euro, bitches).
Evidently I felt the need to stop at the corner of the pavement to photograph it.
Aaaand for that I got the weirdest look from a passerby (hope you're happy, tiffy).
Then again, it probably didn't help that I kept looking at him - I mistakenly thought that he was Buddy#1's friend Boulet...


FYI: I swear I have hardly ever done this for breakfast - not so much because of health-consciousness, but because otherwise I'd need a basket of pastries every day (seriously; when I eat weetbix for breakfast I usually have four - sometimes with a banana). Anyway I blame tiffy for wanting the French food photos.
Also this is a window-cake from the same bakery.
LOOK IT IS SO SMOOSHY, I bet it tastes like squishy pillows and snuggly blankets at the end of a long day.
Also this is a chocolate fondant that I'd bought from the bakery a couple days earlier.
Sorry the picture's blurry; I was in a rush to start with the eating.
Speaking of which OH GOD IT WAS SO GOOD IT WAS LIKE A DOUBLE BASS PLAYING IN MY MOUTH.
And lastly:
ASIAN DINNER.
Mince beef stirfried with beansprouts and carrots (seasoned with soy sauce, garlic, salt/pepper),
served with rice and, of course, a fried egg.
In honour of the fact that despite being in France, I've been spending part of my evenings watching manga-based anime and live-action dramas desu ne. YOSH.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers