Wednesday, 12 October 2011

La Rochelle #6: Nail-Biting

So, went to a pre-departure exchange event at uni a couple days ago (met a nice girl who is the first one to go to Surrey from Vic! As such she was excited but apprehensive, and I told her it was okay to be the guinea pig because she is a pioneering guinea pig!) - and we just talked about things I already knew to be honest, but there was free cheese and crackers, and pizza (I ate 5 pieces, but 2 don't count because they were vegetarian), so no complaints, since I did need the exchangey code stuff anyway.

But now - especially since I'm over the end-of-term madness (aside from the French lit test tomorrow afternoon, but am fairly confident about that), and starting to see through the mist of initial extra-side-travel-adventures excitement; and since Kay has been talking about all the travel things and has left - well now the angst is starting to kick in and I should probably budget again because I have NO IDEA how I will afford 5-6 months in La Rochelle (especially if I'm travelling around France some weekends, and to England and Ireland for about 1.5 weeks in the mid-term break), as well as a few days in Geneva (granted I have free accommodation here) and maybe just pass through Germany since I'm already there, and then a week each in Italy, Greece and Japan. For starters I need to NOT SPEND ANY MORE MONEY UNLESS ACTUALLY AND PROPERLY NECESSARY - though how often have I said something to that effect? Still though this will be way easier now that pretty much all of the Important Occassions have passed (and upcoming one(s) are already planned and have allocated funds), though arrr damn I haven't gotten Christmas presents yet so hmhmhm might have to make them littler things I guess.

Good bloody thing I have second job is all I can say, and after talking with boss-lady-M, B (who is totally lovely and I enjoyed chatting with her today! And I managed to get around correcting her about some stuff without making it too weird, wooo~) and I have just realised that this totally will take longer than everyone originally thought - BUT that is kinda okay with us because it is interesting as well as extra cash. Even if the incompetence of the contractor is rather infuriating... (You can't just push 19th century weirdly-formatted scrawling font through a machine and expect it to come out fine, at least LOOK at the thing before handing it back to us please. And revised editions shouldn't still have the same errors we told you about, let alone NEW errors that were never there in the first place...)

Oh well, at least I know that I'd be okay to live off of like, baguettes or whatever - and cheap cheese? God I hope there is cheap cheese there, it's not like I'm after the blue stuff anyway. And eggs, I love eggs. (Am seriously hoping veganism isn't some sort of trendy thing in France, but I can't really imagine it would be.)

I don't know if it's the loomingness of France or not, but I'm almost completely indifferent to the end of trimester now. Probably doesn't help that I ditched class yesterday (it's okay I got someone to take notes for me) to watch THE LION KING IN 3D AHHHHHHHHHHHHH. (Le Roi Lion? There's an aesthetic prettiness to that actually - written down, even if not so much when spoken...)

Also? The missing of the people. Really starting to not look forward to that. Not so much, no.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers