Eeeee as usual I am super excited about Terry Pratchett's new book, it sounds like it will be pretty awesome. I hadn't been paying much attention to his new releases recently so when I stumbled onto this I nearly wet myself with excitement. Which is sad, really, but I don't mind.
Also today at work some French tourists/RWC supports came in and BARELY SPOKE ANY ENGLISH and it was really difficult... I did however manage to impress them with my vast knowledge of colours (rouge, vert, bleu. I know right?). And earlier that day I pronouced Hélene right, which apparently no one ever does, although she was very definitely a New Zealander so it sort of didn't count. So now I feel very multicultural (I'm not though). Eh, at least I can say je nais comprends pas désolé and that's kinda enough :|
Une bonjour, strawberrie! (I think that's what Julie says. If I've heard it wrong then HAHA but also oh. I am thirteen, sorry.)

YAYAYAY A SAM VIMES ONE. I still haven't read the Unseen Academicals, woops.
ReplyDeleteFélicitations!
Quite probably right about Hélène (FYI: always agrave accent over the first 'e' in a "e-consonant-e' ending) - 'cause like, not only do you drop the 'h', but also I think there's a hint of an 'ain' sound at the end, rather then just straight 'en'.
And now I'm just muttering syllables to myself to double check that SO I'll just stop that.
Also: "je ne comprends pas" (I don't understand) or "je n'ai pas compris" (I did not understand. Makes a bit of a difference here because 'ne' should be pronounced like 'je' - in both cases like 'uh' rather than 'ai' (since there is no acute accent on the 'e', or an 's' or 't' following the 'e').
[Technically it should be 'désolée' since you are female BUT that doesn't affect pronunciation so NO MATTER.]
/Frenchkid.
I think she says 'un bonjour, strawberrie' - which hardly makes a difference since it doesn't make any sense either way.
She also says "Je ne sais français et anglais et japonais", which at least makes vague sense in meaning even if not in form.
I'd offer you some helpful shop-jargon French - like possibly "Bienvenue! (Welcome) Est-ce que vous cherchez un cadeau, ou quelque chose pour vous-même? (Are you looking for a present or something for yourself?)" - but maybe then they'd respond in more French and then, yeah.
WHAT WELL that's not how she spelled it so she obviously doesn't count. (Do you still say spelled if it's just changing on accent? It's still the same letter...?)
ReplyDeleteYes well like I said I do not speak the French well.
Haha yeah because I would a) recognise them as French before they spoke and b) come across so many French-speaking people that it would be useful XP