It started because my 'Repeat Song' (i.e. literally; the song I just keep repeating non-stop) of the last few days has been the first movement of Beethoven's Piano Sonata No 21 'Waldstein', which is SO TOTALLY EPIC. Also I think they use bits of it in the BBC Pride and Prejudice (which shall always have my heart - if not for being a constant background noise as the result of my mother's infatuation with Colin Firth, then at least for the fact that the Keira Knightly Mr Darcy IS NO MISTER DARCY AT ALL).
Regardless of the Pride and Prejudice factor though I decided that this sonata is so awesome in itself (and I don't feel that conflict between really really wanting to learn the third movement, but not incredibly wanting to have to learn the second movement - cf. Beethoven's Moonlight Sonata), that I totally want to learn it!
Then Kay was online and I was going to show her my repeat song - and it was while looking through to find a good version of it that I DISCOVERED SOMETHING.
Or someone: another Tiffany has entered my life.
First there is my older cousin, sometimes quite silly but often fun, barely-Filipino Californian who still knows how to eat like a Castro, token girly-girl with a fair history of boyfriends and who recently got married - like, not even a fortnight ago.
Second there is the Hey-maybe-we-shouldn't-hang-out-so-much-'cause-we-get-exponentially-ditzy tiffy, fellow Frappanese-ophone [blurb abridged].
And now.
Tiffany Poon (the hilarity of her name to Anglophones aside) Hong-Kong-Chinese girl who moved to USA when she was 9 years old.
BECAUSE THE YEAR BEFORE THAT SHE WAS ACCEPTED WITH FULL SCHOLARSHIP TO JULLIARD OMFG.
I like how she plays because she's a bit of a spazz like me, but has more control (and probably doesn't do my weird foot thing) and better hair and is just generally a PROPER pianist. Oh god I wish I could play with an orchestra - though to be fair I'd probably just react inappropriately...
And now a series of links to videos, of Tiffany Poon playing Songs that are Important to me (instead of videos themselves because I was supposed to catch up on sleep tonight and this computer is getting too old).
(She's 14 now but these are from when she was 11 and 12.)
The last song I learned how to play (as mentioned in earlier post): Beethoven's Sonata No 8, 'Pathétique' - First Movement (as mentioned in earlier post).
Current repeat the next song I want to learn to play (after Sugar Plum Fairy) - Piano Goal #2: Beethoven's Piano Sonata No 21, 'Waldstein' - First Movement.
My final, big dream goal - Piano Goal #ULTIMO: Chopin's Fantasie Impromptu.
She makes a couple negligible-ish mistakes each (I forget which, since I just listened to a bunch of her songs; I suspect the rather untimely one was in Pathétique ), but hell she still plays better than me, and by the time she gets to my age she'll be ridiculously amazing.
![]() |
| Age Fourteen. |
LOOK. SHE'S AN AWESOME PIANIST AND HAS NICE ASIAN HAIR AND IS WEARING PURPLE.

No comments:
Post a Comment